I really enjoyed this series overall. Mockingjay part 2 really gave intense experience and emotional roller coaster ride. It’s the best of the series and balanced tension with action quite well.
First thing I have to say is that Josh Hutcherson absolutely killed his role as Peeta, not only in this film but in the whole series. He really showed his range in this final film and was a perfect fit in such a demanding role. The way he transitioned from normal to insane to a recovering torture victim is just mind blowing to me.
Final scene of Finnicks was heartbreaking. A lot more heartbreaking than the book described it.
That sewer battle was INTENSE. That was the biggest part of the book that I wanted adapted well and damn did they do a good job. Great to see Katniss use her bow and arrow again, makes it seem like all of her training was building up to this fight. Now that I think of it, all of the action sequences were really well done. It was aware of its spatial limitations, and was chaotic enough to feel unsettling but yet easy to understand.
Loved how Snow laughed in his last moments. Very daunting.
The last 30 minutes of the movie was so rushed. I felt lost and confused through most of it. One second Katniss is getting blown away, then she’s recovering with severe burns, then she’s fully healed and meeting with the new president. That right there is at least 6 months of time gone. Only then are they deciding who the interim president is and what to do with Snow. Then at the end Peeta and Katniss are just living in isolation. It was just weird. I wish I would’ve seen more weakness and PTSD from Katniss and Peeta at the end instead of the hamfisted “I’m coping” lines from Katniss. I seem to remember in the books her breaking down a lot more and seeing the effects of PTSD, but maybe that’s because we’re in her head the whole time. Still, it should have been more visible.
Synopsis: With the nation of Panem in a full scale war, Katniss goes off on a mission with the unit from District 13 as they risk their lives to liberate the citizens of Panem, and stage an assassination attempt on President Snow who has become increasingly obsessed with destroying her.
Director: Francis Lawrence
Writers: Peter Craig, Danny Strong
- Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen
- Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark
- Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne
- Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy
- Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket
- Donald Sutherland as President Coriolanus Snow
- Julianne Moore as President Alma Coin
- Philip Seymour Hoffman as Plutarch Heavensbee
- Sam Claflin as Finnick Odair
- Jena Malone as Johanna Mason
- Natalie Dormer as Cressida
- Willow Shields as Primrose Everdeen
- Jeffrey Wright as Beetee Latier
- Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman
- Mahershala Ali as Boggs
- Gwendoline Christie as Commander Lyme
- Patina Miller as Commander Paylor
- Stef Dawson as Annie Cresta
- Paula Malcomson as Mrs. Everdeen
- Wes Chatham as Castor
- Elden Henson as Pollux
- Meta Golding as Enobaria
- Michelle Forbes as Lieutenant Jackson
- Omid Abtahi as Homes
- Misty Ormiston as Leeg 1
- Kim Ormiston as Leeg 2
Rottentomatoes Score: 70%
Metacritic Score: 65/100
After Credits Scene?: No